The Hobie 16 revolutionized multihull sailing. The Hobie 16 was unleashed on the Southern California beach scene in 1970 and sailing was instantly transformed.
The beach-launched Hobie 16 brought the sport to legions of speed-loving sailors. The catamaran’s lightweight, asymmetrical fiberglass hulls provide lift and its dual-trapeze rig lets you and your crew member harness its sheer power. Now, 45 years and over 100,000 boats later, the Hobie 16 occupies a coveted spot in the Sailboat Hall of Fame and consistently delivers big-grin sailing and world-class racing. Fly a hull and you’ll understand the global obsession!
- Crew: 1-4
- Length: 16′ 7″ / 5.04 m
- Beam: 7′ 11″ / 2.41 m
- Capacity: 800 lbs/362 kg (US) / 529 lbs/240 kg (EU)
- Weight: 320 lbs / 145 kg
- Draft w/ Rudder Up: 10″ / .25 m
- Mast Length: 26′ 6″ / 8.07 m
- Total Sail Area: 218 ft² / 20 m²
- Hull Construction: Fiberglass/Foam Sandwich